Archive for February, 2009
How in the world did I get on the same list as Cali Lewis? I don’t know but it’s amazing to be on a list of the “top 25 Texas Social Networkers” with her and 23 other amazing people. To whoever nominated me, thank you! It’s an honor to be on the same list as all these incredible social networkers.
The list was pared down from 125 nominees. The actual awards show where all the award winners will get *trophies* is on March 15 from 6 to 9 pm at Ballet Austin, 501 W 3rd St, with tickets going for $15.00.
These are the Texas Social Media Award Winners.
They winners are:
JENN DEERING DAVIS
DAVID J. NEFF
BENN AND LANI ROSALES
PAUL TERRY WALHUS
It’s a great list and I’m honored to be listed on it. Michelle Greer has been really helpful to me and I hope I’ve been helpful to her. She recently had the major role in pulling off the “Twestival” that raised 10 grand for world water causes. I had the privilege of interviewing Cali Lewis as she breezed in and out of last year’s SXSW. Below is that interview with Cali.
Michael Cote made the list, he really was the person that got me going on twitter and his “DrunkandRetired” podcast rocks, it’s the best podcast coming out of Austin, Texas. Erica O’Grady is super, she really did an awesome job at the recent Mashable event in Austin and the Camp connected with it. Last summer I got to co-moderate a session with Connie Reece at the SEMforSMB conference and did an hour long video with her on Youtube and all over with her on social networking. Lani Rosales has given me a lot of great advice and she’s a riot. I hope to get to know all the other award winners better, they’re an awesome group of people.
Note – Perry Belcher was cut from the list at the last minute for being a “bad boy”.
AUSTIN, Texas (Feb 11, 2009) — OrgSync, Inc (OrgSync.com) is excited to announce its successful campaign to raise $1500 for Charity: Water using social media. On Tuesday, February 3, 2009, OrgSync’s team launched a social media campaign to raise awareness for the importance of clean, safe drinking water around the world. The team of 25 employees used Twitter, Facebook Newsfeeds and their company blog to rally the public behind the cause. OrgSync’s goal was to raise $1500 to donate to Charity: Water during the Austin Twestival event on February 12. Michelle Greer, well known Austin media figure and coordinator for Austin Twestival, says “Big problems like the lack of clean drinking water won’t get solved over night by the few. They will get solved by the many donating in bits and pieces towards a common goal. OrgSync pooled their resources and ended up being one of our top sponsors and I hope more companies follow this approach towards charitable giving.”
Over 175 cities around the world will be uniting on Thursday, February 12, 2009 to increase awareness and raise money for those in need of clean, safe drinking water. “This is a great cause and an opportunity to unite our Austin community with cities across the world to create social good. As a leader I am passionate about leveraging my understanding of social media to help create awareness and provide people the opportunity to give back,” said Fortenberry.
The OrgSync team was successful at meeting its goal of raising $1566 in 24 hours and is excited to contribute 100% of it to Charity: Water. Andrew Katz, Director of Community Relations feels, “It’s very important for our team to give back and get involved in the Austin Community. We feel that by being visibly active in the community, we can be positive role models for our students and clients to do the same!” OrgSync’s successful campaign proves how important online communication and networking is for increasing awareness and uniting individuals for a greater good.
OrgSync is a co-curricular management tool that helps colleges and universities communicate more effectively across their entire campus. OrgSync offers a hosted service that provides the tools needed by campuses to easily organize, assess, track, and manage students and student organizations. OrgSync is currently helping over 100 campuses manage their student co-curricular management, leadership development and communication needs. OrgSync is headquartered in Austin, TX with satellite offices in Dallas, TX, Miami, FL, and Tucson, AZ. For more information about OrgSync, visit OrgSync.com. To schedule an interview with CEO Eric Fortenberry, contact Nicole Andreas at (512) 238-8534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More discussion with Dr DD Faye about the twestival.com on Feb 12 in Austin and around the world. One in six people worldwide lack adequate drinking water – 1.1 billion people – and twestival.com and Dr Faye are both part of the solution to providing clean drinking water to the world’s population.
- We want you to be the judge of the pre roll competition. Tweet your favourite clip to @peterlamotte. Ends in 24hrs http://tinyurl.com/cwkaph about 5 hours ago from web
- @TwestivalSEA Nice work on the video! about 5 hours ago from web in reply to TwestivalSEA
- Twitter Groups http://tgr.me adding pages for all Twestival cities! Plz tell @1datarecovery what #tag u r using in addition to #twestival about 5 hours ago from web
- RT @jangles: FIR 420 published. This episode includes a great interview with @amanda about @twestival. http://tinyurl.com/d8ynkj [12:00] about 6 hours ago from web
- You *must* watch this. It is beyond awesome. http://vimeo.com/3095175 Great work team @amstwestival about 10 hours ago from web
- In exactly one week from this moment, the doors of the London Twestival will open. Happy to be announcing a second venue tomorrow. about 10 hours ago from web
- Cities… do you have a tweet that shows when you first decided to organise a Twestival? We want to include for Live Earth. Thanks! about 10 hours ago from web
- Amazing presentation put together to explain Twestival : http://tinyurl.com/djcz9d Nice work @sandeepvizedu about 15 hours ago from web
- Tokyo has one of the largest Twitter communities in the world! Now they have a Twestival. Spread the word : http://tokyo.twestival.com/ about 15 hours ago from web
- Twestival.fm is on NME.com http://tinyurl.com/asm8a6 [thanks @DavidMoynihan!] http://twestival.fm Accepting tracks by artists now. about 16 hours ago from web
- Twestival tickets now available for Vienna, Reading, Amsterdam, Birmingham, Barcelona, Copenhagen and more… http://twestival.com/ about 17 hours ago from web
- Very cool @PKGulati is donating $1 for every new Twitter follower he gets over the next week (up to 300) to charity: water. about 17 hours ago from web
- Dear Twestival organizers, you are amazing. Thinking of starting a Craigslist or something so you can post what you still need contributed. 8:23 PM Feb 4th from web
- RT @kanter: Case Foundation blog writes about Twestival http://tinyurl.com/ajbzax 7:54 PM Feb 4th from web
- RT: @WarrenAndrew will donate .25Â¢ for every NEW follower I get on twitter till the end of February to http://www.charitywater.org/ 6:50 PM Feb 4th from web
- RT @Pistachio: To the MANY kind souls offering donated items for Twestival. Contact your nearest city organizer www.twestival.com 6:37 PM Feb 4th from web
- RT @davemorin Bill Gates: “If we improve health, peak population growth will stabilize 1 billion people below current projections.” #TED 5:21 PM Feb 4th from web
- @billlublin if you are looking to sponsor, you should get in touch with @melitami who would love to hear from you – thanks! 5:17 PM Feb 4th from web in reply to billlublin
- Whoa, global ticket sales are going nuts right now. Organizers, if you don’t have your Amiando account set up – please email @amanda asap. 5:16 PM Feb 4th from web
By rallying together globally, under short timescales, for a single aim on the same day, the Twestival hopes to bring awareness to the global water crisis. Live Earth is the global video partner for Twestival events occuring next Thursday, February 12 in more than 185 cities worldwide to benefit charity: water. Scott Harrison of charity: water discusses Twestival below:
Click here for more on charity: water. For an entertaining, in-depth explanation of Twestival, watch the slideshow below:
Here’s the schedule of events for Twestival 2009 at Ace’s in Austin, TX on Feb 12
8:00 Meet and mingle
8:50 A word from sponsors
9:00 Twestival Sumo Smackdown (see video below)
10:00 Presentation by Glimmer of Hope, a non-profit that drills wells in Africa
10:45 Performance by T-Bird and the Breaks, one of Austin’s most highly regarded up-and-coming bands. This 11 piece band won accolades from both ACL’s “Sound and the Jury” Awards as well as the Austin Music Awards. They’ve sold out their past two shows and just released a new album. See video below.
A donation of just $10 can provide someone in Africa clean drinking water for 12 years. Collectively, we can initiate substantial change for developing nations. Here are are a variety of ways you can make this happen:
- Get Tickets: http://www.amiando.com/twestivalaustin.html
- Donate: http://www.charitywater.org/twestival (Select Austin)
- Update your Facebook and Twitter statuses: Include a link to http://www.austintwestival.com
- Sponsor the event: Companies can learn about opportunities here – http://tinyurl.com/aom2hp
- Donate an item for the silent auction: Email email@example.com
Join over 100 cities across the globe and take part in this unprecedented event.
Twestival is going to be held around the world on Thursday, March 12. It is the biggest twitter festival ever and has been set up to support the billion plus people in the world without clean drinking water. It’s a fundamental cause that needs your support. The Austin event will be at Ace’s on 6th Street at 8 pm on March 12.
Please use the tag #twestival in blogs and other social media, so we can find your posts more easily, which will be tracked on Delicious – head here to see the latest coverage and what global sources are saying
Twestival is 100% volunteer organised, but we will try and get back to you as soon as we can.
- About Twestival [42k pdf]
- charity: water media pack [110.2M zip] – charity: water videos, logos and pictures.
- Twestival badges [265k zip] – Badges in png format for websites to link to the Twestival site.
- Twestival global press release [67k pdf]
- Twestival media pack [3.2M zip] – Twestival logos in eps format and in a pdf document.
- charity: water event kit.